Friday, January 13, 2012

friggatriskaidekaphobia

...The Fear of Friday the 13th.

"In numerology, the number twelve is considered the number of completeness, as reflected in the twelve months of the year, twelve hours of the clock, twelve gods of Olympus, twelve tribes of Israel, twelve Apostles of Jesus, the 12 Descendants of Muhammad Imams, etc., whereas the number thirteen was considered irregular, transgressing this completeness. There is also a superstition, thought by some to derive from the Last Supper or a Norse myth, that having thirteen people seated at a table will result in the death of one of the diners.


So, dinner party holders...you have been warned!

I never understood why one would fear this day. Yes it has scary movie marathons on many channels, and everyone feels like everyone else is being moody that day, but its Friday! As long as your not part of a human centipede while being forced to listen to Rebecca Black's song on repeat, I don't feel it has any reason to be a bad day. Most people get paid Fridays, the weekend starts, you get to sleep in a little the next morning (unless you have a dog like me which must wake you up at 8am or he makes you miserable for it).

I love Fridays. There is always such a sigh of relief in so many peoples lives on Fridays. The knowledge that the average work week is over at the close of day allows so much crap to be overlooked and so much bullshit to be ignored. At 5pm you can undo that tie, walk out the door and do what ever the hell you want. Meet up with a good friend at a BYOB sushi place with a nice bottle of wine, or catch the latest 3D flick for kicks. Then there is also the staple, hit the bars with friends and see what Gayhem can be caused in a single evening. I however have decided to do basically all of the above, with a little ad-libing.

To start my Dark Friday events, after I shed my work cloths and kick my ass at BSC, I plan to spend the first part of my evening at a friends. Horror movies, home cooked meals, and I'm sure a ton of laughs and good convo will be the best appetizer to my night. Then I'm sure we will wander down to one of our favorite watering holes to people watch, visit with friends, and maybe make some new ones. Then for dessert maybe a stop off at a local club for some karaoke and dancing. The fun of Friday evening is making it whatever you want it to be. A quiet night with someone special, or a bender bar crawl around town. As long as you have a good time and make it home safe who cares.

Happy Friday the 13th everyone!

May it be a SCREAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment